Our students have been running in memory of Terry Fox; however, due to COVID 19 protocols, this has been happening in cohorts throughout the week. We are collecting donations for the Terry Fox Cancer Foundation and are hoping to collect “TOONIES FOR TERRY”. Please DO NOT send cash; instead please use our School Cash Online system. Links for this are below.
SCHOOL CASH ONLINE
In order to use this function you will need to consent to the use; please use this link to register https://consent.sd62.bc.ca/apps/OnlineConsent
Please log on at https://sd62.schoolcashonline.com/ and order your tickets. In order to add your student you will need their student number – if you do not have this please contact the school via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sooke School District has set up a electronic consent portal for parents. If you have not already done so, please use this link https://consent.sd62.bc.ca/ to sign your student(s) up for the following consents:
- School Health Check
- Fresh Grade
- General School Fieldtrips (allows for neighbourhood walks with buddies etc.)
- Google Apps for Education
- Internet Access
- School Cash Online
- Aboriginal Education Form
Please remember once you have consented to School Cash Online it is not an immediate response and will take 48hrs to populate. Once populated you will be able to go to the school cash online link and start adding your students.
Thanks to the advocacy of our PAC from last year and this year, and the financial support of the City of Colwood, Wishart Elementary will soon be getting a crossing guard. The crossing guard will be at the cross walk in the morning and after school to ensure the safety of Wishart students.
Parents must do a daily Health Check as outlined in the District letter. Students MUST NOT come to school if they are sick. If you have not completed the consent for daily health check, please do so. Students will be washing their hands frequently during the school day. If a student falls sick during the day they will be asked to don a mask and be taken to the supervision area for parental pick up. Parents will be contacted and will be expected to pick students up as quickly as possible
Please ensure that your child is dressed for all weather – rain, cold, heat as students will be going outside daily. Please provide an extra set of clothes for your students to have at the school. This will enable them to be comfortable if they get dirty or wet during the school day; it will also prevent phone calls home during the day.
We are also asking that NO treats for special occasions are to be brought in to classrooms to share due to COVID 19 rules and student allergies.
This year is certainly a different one than we have ever experienced. The following is information about procedures and protocols put into place to ensure that all students and staff are safe, and we are following the advice of the provincial health officer. We will update information as needed. Wishart is a school of 450 students. With such a large population it is important that we all work together to ensure the school remains a safe and healthy place for students and staff. Please read all the following information carefully. Thanks in advance for your patience and flexibility.
School starts at 8:45 and finishes at 2:45 for all students. Please try to come as close to the start time as possible or drop your child off by 8:30 as we have supervision outside
- ‘Kiss/Hug/Go’ We are requesting all parents grade 1-5 to ‘kiss/hug’ their child/ren and leave
- Students are to go directly to their cohort meeting zone in the morning and leave from their zone promptly after school
- We have many staff on duty outside in the morning and afterschool to keep your child/ren safe if you must drop off early
- BACK OF THE SCHOOL – We are unable to maintain a safe space for staff and students at the back of the school due to crowding and lack of social distancing which contravenes the health and safety guidelines; we request your help and cooperation in keeping our students and staff safe
- Here are the changes if your child is accessing the back door (Kindergarten and Grade 1 classes)
- On Monday morning, you will find a line of cones in place by the gym wall; please ‘hug/kiss’ your child right there and one of our staff will take your child/ren to the right spot
- Your child might cry, but once you leave, he/she will be alright – we have wonderful staff who will look after them
- At the end of the day, ONLY Kindergarten parents will pick their child/ren from Mrs. Lewis and Ms. St. Jean’s entrance (you can come inside the black-top area)
- Anderson and Ms. Stewart will bring the grade 1 kids to you by the cones.
- Parents of students in grades 1-5 are asked to drop students off and meet students off school grounds to reduce the number of people on school grounds.
- We also request parents not to go around and wait by portables in the morning and after school; please arrange for an alternate drop off and pick up spot
- If parents are on school grounds, please maintain social distancing of 2 meters and/or wear a mask
- We are monitoring the area in the front of the school and may have to put additional rules to keep students and staff safe
- There is three separate recesses and lunch playtimes for students. Students will play in one of four play zones with the other students from their cohort. Cohorts will rotate play zones weekly. Students eat lunch with teachers according to the individual class schedule
|Grade||Morning recess||Lunch recess|
|Kindergarten||10:00 – 10:20||11:13 – 12:00|
|1 and 2||10:20 – 10:40||12:00 – 12:47|
|3, 4, and 5||10:40 – 11:00||12:47 – 1:34|
Parking and Student Drop-off
- Parking can be very challenging. The upper parking lot is for staff only. Parents should not be using this area for parking or student drop-off. We also have staff parking in the lower parking lot. There will cones placed to hold the spots for teachers. We ask you to ‘Kiss/hug/drop-off’ and leave as this is the area where parents can pull through to drop off students. To ensure we do not “jam” up the neighborhood, please quickly say good-bye and have your student exit from the passenger side promptly. If you need to park consider using the area across the street from the school or down by city hall. As our student population grows everyone’s cooperation and patience is essential.
- Students taking the bus meet at the top of the stairs at the far end of the upper parking lot. Bus supervisors will meet primary students in the school foyer and take them up to the meeting zone. In the morning supervisors will meet primary students and ensure they get safely to their cohort meeting zone.
Early/Late Pick up/Drop-off at School
- If students arrive late or leave early please call the office at 250-478-9528 and your student will be met and signed in or out by office staff at the front office doors – this includes students in portables as they need to be signed into and out of the school for emergency and attendance purposes. Informing the classroom teacher ahead of time, when possible, will help make this process go more smoothly. Please meet your student in front of the office when picking them up so we can see your face and ensure they are safe.
Please note this year the school office will be closed between 12:00 noon and 1:00pm and office phones will not be answered between 12:00 noon and 1:00pm.
If you require your student to be picked up during this time please call and notify the office PRIOR TO NOON to arrange the pick up.
We are working on updating as much information as we can before we open our parent portal for viewing. Any parents unable to log in – please try to re-set your password. If you are unable to re-set your password without assistance please email the school (email@example.com) to inform us. Once your passwords/usernames have been set up for you you will receive an email.
“MyEdBC” is a secured online portal used by most school districts in BC. Security is guided by BC’s School Act and FoIPPA. In the Family Portal, parents can:
- Check attendance
- Ensure contact information is up to date
- See assessments/grade information/transcripts
- View report cards and summary of progress reports (not in elementary schools at this time)
How to log in and access MyEducationBC:
- For our initial log in you must use a laptop or desktop computer. After the initial log in, you can use your phone or other devices.
- Make sure pop‐ups are enabled for your browser
- Please follow the instructions on the attached document to login and change your password- SD#62 – MyEdBC Family Portal Instructional Manual
Once inside the MyEducationBC system you can navigate around to view information for your student(s). If you have a child in middle/secondary schools in the district, you will have already gained access and will not receive and additional email.
Who has access to the Portal?
- Teachers, Principals and Vice Principal
- Parents/Guardians (two max per child)
- Students – each student has their own login