Our goal at Wishart has been to incorporate nature and outdoor learning in our regular curriculum across K-5 learning. Two years ago, we created our forest classroom which students and staff regularly use as an area for learning and playing. Our next goal is to build a learning garden as a natural extension of the outdoor learning space.
We hope the school garden will help us:
- Promote healthy living and an understanding of healthy food choices
- Increase an understanding of seasonal change and food production
- Improve social emotional wellbeing
- Improve literacy, numeracy and fine motor skills through hands on experiences
- Increase self-esteem, motivation, confidence and resilience
- Teach students about native plants and pollinator species
- Be in alignment with Sooke School District’s Strategic Plan of promoting a sense of belonging and Aboriginal Ways of Knowing and Learning.
A donation option has been added to the School Cash Online website to allow families to contribute to this fantastic opportunity for our community. Any contributions are greatly appreciated.